DIY Front Door, before + after

Well, the front door project is finally finished and it turned out even better than I could have hoped. Here is a little reminder of what we started with and my inspiration for the door...


I was definitely trying to give this door some character without breaking the bank, so I knew I had to get creative. The quote we got to have a company replace it with one similar to this inspiration photo was close to $6,000 (I know, insanity) and I was not okay with spending that kind of money on a door. So I decided to try something else.


I started by stripping all of the paint off this flat panel door, sanding it down, and adding some trim to give it that craftsman look. Plenty of wood filler, caulk, primer and paint later, it was ready for the ultimate accent: mirrors to make it look like it had a window in the door! I added some new black hardware and am pretty happy with how it turned out! Now I am just trying to decide if I want to that a dentil shelf (that little white accent under the window) to complete the craftsman look. We'll see what I end up doing there. But, here is how it turned out in the end...


Not bad for a door that cost less than $250 (including the new hardware!).

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon

© 2021 Sarah Stapley

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest